Buenos Aires Map
Contact
Random
Our Travel Books
Advertising / Press

For 91 Days in Buenos Aires »« Bar (Notable) Hopping

Ciao, Buenos Aires

Add to Flipboard Magazine.

Continue to follow us on Twitter and Facebook, and make sure to go with us to our our next location!

Three months. Had it already been three months? I don’t think we’ve ever lived in a place where time seemed to fly past so quickly. It felt as though we had just arrived and yet, there we were with bags packed. After a week-long vacation on the Paraná Delta, we were going to hop on a plane for Bolivia, our next destination.

Bye Bye Buenos Aires

What an incredible city Buenos Aires is! Hectic, loud, intense, packed with culture, drowning in its own history. Before arriving, we knew that we might be overwhelmed: so many museums and buildings to visit, restaurants to fatten ourselves at, neighborhoods to explore. What we didn’t expect was the warmth and hospitality of its people. You hear so much about crime and danger, but we didn’t experience that at all. The porteños we met, almost without exception, have been kind, open and helpful. How many fun conversations did we have with taxi drivers, shop merchants, and regular folks in bars? Too many to count, and far outstripping the very few negative encounters.

But more than anything it’s the size of the city which I’ll never be able to forget. Both its magnitude and density; so much humanity living and working, so much business and commerce. Every block offers something, whether it’s a classic café, a unique store, crazy graffiti, or an incredible bit of history. We were out on the streets every day, but even when just re-traversing routes with which we were already intimately familiar, always uncovered something new. The person who claims to be bored in Buenos Aires must have his eyes closed. The person who claims to know everything about it, a fool.

As we prepared to shut the door on this chapter of our lives, we found ourselves with mixed emotions. On the one hand, it would be a relief to slow down our pace to more human levels. But we would surely miss the invigorating abundance of life and mayhem. So we weren’t sure whether to celebrate or mourn the end of our stay. The only thing that we were sure about, was that we’d never forget our time in Buenos Aires: one of the world’s most extraordinary cities.

Other Posts You Might Like from Buenos Aires ...and Tokyo
The Obelisk and the Avenida 9 de JulioChinese New Year in BelgranoWatching Soccer in Buenos Aires, Part 1: Boca JuniorsThe View from Roppongi Hills
, ,
May 7, 2011 at 10:48 am
15 comments »
  • May 8, 2011 at 1:26 amJime

ohh guys!! I’ll def miss you! I’ll follow the new bolivian site as this but… U_U
    Ha ve great vacations and enjoy your last days with Argentinians 😛

• May 14, 2011 at 5:14 pmJuergen

Jime thank you so much for reading. We loved our time here! So stay tuned until we are in Bolivia and we will be back in Buenos Aires … promise!

• May 8, 2011 at 4:42 ammichelle

come back soon!

• May 14, 2011 at 5:12 pmJuergen

We will be back! No doubt and I’m pretty sure we will be picking an other 91 days somewhere in Argentina at one point soon.

• May 8, 2011 at 12:20 pmBeth Anderson

Dang! Three months already? That really did go quickly. Funny that you are going on a vacation!

• May 14, 2011 at 5:11 pmJuergen

Beth,

we can’t believe it either! It’s a real shock to us that the time here in Buenos Aires is over.

We didn’t have a vacation in 5 years and the week in Tigre did us very well. I know you laughing but we also have day jobs besides the travel blog. So not looking at a computer for over 8 hours a day was such a treat.

• May 8, 2011 at 1:54 pmAngela

Luckily I’ll get to see you once more before you go and before Chucky heads on to her new adventure, too. Hope you’re having a fantastic time in Tigre. I found a bag of cereal in the apartment. But considering you were here for three months, forgetting only a bag of cereal is a pretty good accomplishment. It’ll be waiting for you when you get back, though I doubt you’ll take it to Bolivia with you. Besos from all of us at San Telmo Loft. We’re going to miss you!

• May 9, 2011 at 1:45 amMai

Wow! The 3 month went away and I didn’t even noticed! Hope you had a great time in your new locations and learn lot of new things so you share it with me and all the people that follows your aventure!
    Have a nice vacation’s week! Besos grandes amigos!!

• May 14, 2011 at 5:06 pmJuergen

Mai,

Thank you so much for the comment and for reading our site. We will be continue travel blog for a while and even trying to make the site better! So stay tuned and keep leaving comments, hehe!

• May 12, 2011 at 12:29 amStefan

I’ve loved reading and see your pictures of Buenos Aires. I can’t wait to go. I bet I’ll end referring you your posts when I’m planing out my trip. I’m still finishing up my 3 months in Chile, but soon enough I’ll be exploring around Mar de la Plata.

Best of luck with your next destination. -and I hope to see some pictures of the Paraná Delta. I’ve got Tigre on my must visit list.

Que te vayan bien.

• May 14, 2011 at 4:57 pmJuergen

Hello Stefan,

oh! An other slow traveler! Cool! Keep an eye in twitter since the Delta pics won’t appear on this blog but I will link to some pictures later this weekend. You will have a blast in Buenos Aires and don’t be shy to ask any question you might have.

Safe travels!

• May 13, 2011 at 12:34 amAyngelina

I am so sad to read this post as I don’t want to see you go but also feel so fortunate for meeting you.

I really hope we have a chance to meet again, you guys are superb.

• May 14, 2011 at 4:54 pmJuergen

Too bad we didn’t get to hang out again. Hope the new apartment rocks and you will have a blast in Buenos Aires. Let us know if you end up in Bolivia while we are still there! XOXOXO

• July 4, 2011 at 7:48 pmdaniel

it’s CHAU!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks
Don't be Shy, Leave a Comment!

Ciao, Buenos Aires